Monday, July 19, 2004

Happy 1 Month Anniversary!

Get out the party hats and noise makers...today is me and Ryan's one month anniversary. Who would have ever thought it could last a month, huh? Ha!
 
This weekend we went home for Sovereign State Days in our hometown (at least my hometown) of Winneconne. It always seems like a good idea until you actually get there...then you quickly remember that there is a reason that you don't live there anymore. With the exception of most family and our close friends, I have no desire to see anyone in that town at all. I always find it a little sad yet amusing when I see someone that I went to school with and they see me, but we both continue on pretending that we didn't see one another so as to avoid an uncomfortable conversation. I am 20, but I am not your average 20 year old. I forget sometimes that my friends are all very mature for their age, so when I meet an actual normal 20 year old it strikes me that it is a very young age. Most of them are going to college, parties, and working part time jobs. They probably don't have significant others and if they do, it is very fleeting. I am married, I do not attend school, and I work full time for the welfare office. Let the good times roll! In all honesty, I never wanted to be your average 20 year old...I got sick of that before it ever started.
 
In between running into old friends and non-friends, we did manage to go and see an actual friend at Dan's Citgo and enjoy some really nice animals. I petted a pig's snout and watched a deer pee. Who knew that deer had wangs? I guess I should have figured, but it's quite a sight to behold. Lemurs, ferrets, a camel, and elk...all waiting for me to watch them and pet them when possible! That's the sort of thing you want to come home for.
 
For those of you who know what I'm talking about, don't eat pizza at Antler's bar...the pizza sauce is just Prego or Ragu. I swear!
 
I don't ever want to hear God Bless America again. I can't even tell you how much I hate that song...memories of people singing it on the steps of Congress, choruses of school children singing it at their winter concerts, and now, people singing it during the fireworks at Sovereign State. As it was pointed out to me, Sovereign State Days is the celebration of when Winneconne decided to secede from the United States...was it out of irony that they decided to sing that song during the celebration? I highly doubt it, though if it were it would be a very clever gag. I think that somehow people are unable to think of fireworks in any other context than the fourth of July, and therefore did not even realize the complete idiocy of what they were singing and when.
 
I don't know why I insist on going back to Sovereign State Days...it's always a bitter disappointment in some ways. The flea market has little but junk that the seller no longer wants, the parade gets weaker and weaker every year, and you never ever see a new face. I hate it, but I know I'll go back next year. I'll probably go back every year and bring my kids back too, to tour the little school house and the newly restored steamboat. I must be some sort of salmon or trout...going upstream, even though they know there will be a grizzy bear waiting to scoop them up at the top of the waterfall.  I'm a trout...haha.
 
Anyway, I hope that your Sovereign State weekend or just plain weekend was eventful and happy. Or uneventful and unhappy, if that's the way you like it. Enjoy the week! July is almost over!

No comments: